Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Love For South of the Border

Starring down an empty green bottle after gulping down the best fresh fish taco you could ever find in Mexico, I belch with great satisfaction. Sitting on a concrete bench at a table at JJ’S Cantina in Cholla Bay, Mexico, I stare at the sun with a cool buzz flowing through my bloodstream. I reminisce on many previous vacations that landed me at this exact location. It is a beautiful place indeed. It hasn’t changed. Same old bar when you walk in, with TV’s behind the bar and JJ’S merchandise for sale. Having a JJ’S tank or hat was always the thing to have. They have always had the most appealing Merchandise out of any other Mexican commodity most likely because Americans owned it. However, I love buying fun things in Mexico, especially to help their economy.

I spend another two dollars on a returnable long neck Dos Equis from the bartender to enjoy the few hours of sun remaining in the day. Slowly drinking the tasty lager, I relax in a state of mind where I have no cares in the world, not even one. This is when time freezes for me. I am in complete happiness, enjoying my one of many cerveza’s that I had earlier this afternoon. Just another day in Mexico, I could honestly live here. It is so inviting, especially considering how close it is from College. If I could I would drive down to Puerto Penasco every weekend if I had the chance to, despite all the negative media attention regarding the drug wars. But we are always safe, driving straight from point A to point B, no stops other for gas, tequila, and beer.

During the fall and spring seasons, Rocky Point has absolutely perfect weather. It is the closest escape we Americans have to paradise. Even better, having all the fun toys down in Rocky Point is where it is at because it brings the place to life. Being able to freely roam on dirt bikes, Rhinos, and Samurais are perfect for the unpaved roads. The only scary incidents are when you run into extremely desperate Mexicans asking for money or the “Policia” (especially the Federalies). It is a hit or miss, I have been pulled over many times when I or someone else was driving but have never ended up in jail. However, I know many people that have. Jail in Mexico is something that is not looked as something to brag about, even though most of my friends and family friends usually do.

It is quite sad seeing how desperate and helpless they are when the people of Mexico are constantly in your face trying to sell you things for your money. Nevertheless, that is how it has always been and that is probably how it’s going to be for the rest of my time on this earth. But I love the Mexican people, they draw a smile to my face-they are great people and I am so glad I was able to grow up in Mexico on my vacation time when the weather is right. My life wouldn’t be the same if I didn’t ever get to experience South of the Boarder.

No comments:

Post a Comment