Sunday, October 25, 2009

Brainstorming on a Tradition Paper- A School Tradition From Another University

Thinking about other college universities that implement unique and interesting school traditions is in store for my upcoming paper in my History of the University of Arizona class that I have on Mondays and Wednesdays at eight in the morning. I have to write and discuss a tradition at another university and then discuss why this tradition at another university interests you. I need to include the name of the tradition at the, where the tradition has been established else where, why I think it would be an important tradition at the UA, how it is different from other traditions that exist or have existed, and how I would establish, promote and implement it at the UA. This paper is going to be a little different from the styles of writing I have been practicing but it will be fun. This tradition paper is supposed to be including sources and be in APA format (which I have not done forever).

I have a few ideas of what other school traditions would be fun to write about for this assignment. Here are three I am debating between currently: Mardi Gras: For decades UCLA’s largest student-run activity, Mardi Gras had its roots in a 1943 “Carnival” held in the women’s gym that featured jigs and reels with Elizabethan costumes. Some accounts describe Mardi Gras beginning as a masquerade ball in 1941, or earlier as an annual event presented by a Masonic affiliate club. However, as little record exists recounting the ball, the details of the true origins of the extravaganza remain unclear. What is known is that an event called “Mardi Gras” was held on campus in 1945, furthering the festival spirit of the 1943 social. The evening included dancing and 40 decorated concessions operated by university organizations and ended with the coronation of the king, which is a favorite among the students. ) UC San Diego (Muir College): Each year student at the Muir College at UC San Diego drop a 200-300 pound pumpkin stuffed with candy from the 11th floor of the Tioga Residence Hall before their annual Halloween carnival. Miami University: On the Thursday preceding spring break every March, local bars open at 5:30am to serve green beers, cocktails, and shots, as well as green eggs and ham or green bagels, for “Green Beer Day”. Students wear all green and then stick out their tongues once green to take photographs.

These three traditions are very fascinating and they sounds like all of those traditions would be a lot of fun and implementing it at the UA would be a fun and electric if our campus added some new traditions to get all UA students together before a exciting event. For example, homecoming and parents weekend are filled with fun events throughout the entire week. But I think having other traditions throughout the semester would really re-connect UA students and teachers. I am about to start writing this three to five page essay, but still need to decide between these three schools. I might just have to close my eyes and point to one because I am being very indecisive right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment