Friday, November 13, 2009

FRIDAY the 13th BLOG Entry

Today is Friday the 13th and I am pretty positive that I am going to stay in tonight again because I do not feel safe going out on an eerie night like this. I am not superstitious whatsoever, but I do listen to my instincts if I feel weird or skeptical about going out to the bars on a wild night like Friday the 13th. Something I still can’t get over is that Arizona passed a law that allows registered gun owners to carry concealed weapons at any bars in the state. I think this is stupid and ridiculous. Supposedly, they are not allowed to drink in the bar if they do posses their own weapon, but what is the point of having the gun and going to the bar? What actually went down and why did the Arizona Senate pass this law? According to Jonathan J. Cooper, The Arizona Senate has given final approval to a bill that would allow people with concealed weapons permits to carry a gun into a business that serves alcohol.

The 19-8 vote completes legislative action on the bill and sends it to Republican Gov. Jan Brewer. She has not said whether she will sign it, but she has long been a supporter of gun rights.

The measure has pitted powerful groups representing gun and bar owners against each other, sparking a debate about whether guns and alcohol can coexist without bloodshed.

Critics of the measure say guns and alcohol are a dangerous combination.

"We don't let people drink and drive, why should we let them drink and carry guns?" said Sen. Paula Aboud, D-Tucson, who voted against the bill.

Supporters say they should be able to protect themselves and their families even if they happen to be inside a business serving alcohol.

"It's very important that criminals are now afraid rather than law abiding citizens," said Sen. Jack Harper, R-Surprise, the bill's sponsor.

The measure would ban drinking while packing and allow restaurants to deny entry to gun-toting citizens by posting a sign next to their liquor license.


Although I have been swaying back and forth, debating if I should go out tonight… Roommates and friends easily persuade me. That is why I will probably end up going out tonight because it sucks being alone in my house on a Friday house. I feel almost safer when I am around my friends because we all look out for each other. When I am alone in my house I feel like I have to protection because someone could break in like those ADS commercials that shows the burglars breaking into a variety of different homes by just kicking in the front door. I don’t know why Tucson is so scary but it is! That is why I always have to be on my tippy toes and be aware of my surroundings at all times. Life is too fragile to be stupid and mess around with people who are looking for trouble. Tonight, if I do decide to go out, I need to stick with a plan that ensures my safety and me safe and sound in my bed at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment