Friday, September 4, 2009

Bum Rushed

Past memories are stored somewhere in my brain locked inside my head. Some are vivid and easy to remember, others not so much. Within my memory I can usually separate the good ones from the bad. Generally the feelings and emotions that I feel at that time is what I relate other memories to. Depending on how much time I daze off and critically think about a particular memory that is in my mind, results in the amount of detail that I am able to remember. Going back to my memory and putting time restrictions on how much I think about that particular day, hour, and minuets. Sometimes I focus on seconds to really direct myself to react and realize what happened in that time frame and explain it with as much detail as possible. I tend to do this a lot when I think about times where there are no cares in the world for me. For instance, here is a written summary of a life changing experience that will be broken down into different increments, restricted by different time limits:

Late at night in San Diego, my friends and I are young and alive. Currently in high school there is nowhere else I would rather be than with my friends in Mission Beach. The main purpose of the trip was to travel with my friends, Matt and Ryan, to go stay with his sister for a night and dip our feet into the college life. Kelly was a freshman attending San Diego State University and was living in the dorms. Yet, the first night we stayed in Mission Beach with Ryan’s parents, and I remember Ryan, Matt, and myself desperately looking to get out of the beach cottage and go do something ridiculously entertaining. We ended up asking someone to buy us alcohol and started to drink and roam the beach and bay. Next, we went to the corner store and I bought a disposable camera. This camera was soon to be the memory of destruction. Roaming on the bay side boardwalk, nothing but people riding bikes, jogging, walking, and a few skateboarders. Our want to do something outrageous was building up and we started taking pictures of crazy bums walking along the street. This was not a good idea.

The most important moment in the sixty-second time frame was after I snapped the photo of a mum on a bike riding by us. The tall man instantly threw down his bike and jumped off and ran directly up to my face. My friends backed up instantly, but I was in shock and the tall freighting bum rushed me. For no longer than a minute he asked me to give him my camera that I had just recently purchased. I kept saying no sir I just bought the camera and I was not even taking a picture of him. He then threatened my life and told me that kids like me get killed every day in this town for doing stupid things like this, I was scared as he stared into my skull with his raging eyes and facial expressions. I kept my camera and he ended up walking away. After I developed the pictures, I had one interesting story to tell.

The most important 10 seconds of the story was when the bum on the bike threw down his bike and charged me after I snapped the photo of him. My heart raced so fast I thought it was going to stop working. I coughed up enough courage to talk with this crazy man that was screaming at me. I instantly denied taking the picture, but the man wasn’t that stupid. I told him I was taking a picture of my old house and he wasn’t buying one word. After he told me about how he could stab me right now and take my camera, my heart dropped and I thought I was done for. I was unsure were my friends were b/c the man was in my face and are eyes connected like magnets. After he left I was so scared, I didn’t want to mess around anymore and neither did my friends. The next morning was a relief because we had two more days left in beautiful California and that day was to be my very first college experience with rumor of a SDSU party with a few kegs, life was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment